Thursday, February 15, 2018

Courtney Barnett - Nameless, Faceless

'I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup. And spit out better words than you...'

Hot off the press! The new Courtney Barnett song just released today. Ahead of her new album entitled Tell Me How You Really Feel which is due mid-May. I have to say that there are very few contemporary artists that make me hot under the collar quite like Courtney, since I came upon her at my sister's recommendation five or so years back. I've seen her a couple of times in Newcastle, both wondrous occasions and though not everything she's done has quite floated my boat the way the first stuff I heard did, she is still a wondrous and exciting artist. As for this particular taster for things new Nameless, Faceless is an instant winner, with the kind of lyric that frankly only Courtney can write, treading a similar road to past glories of hers, with slightly more serious intent than we might be used to. This here is newly unearthed treasure!

A few hours later and listening to it again a great way of dealing with male aggression from a talented female artist. Through humour. This song is really about finding a way of coping and making a statement on the evident violence that's clearly abroad in this world. 'I want to walk through the park in the dark. Men are scared that women will laugh at them. Women are scared that men will kill them...' Margaret Atwood's words apparently. But put to a great tune. In just over three minutes. Use your words like Dylan. That's always the key. Apparently punched out on an old fashioned typewriter.The album should be worth waiting for...

No comments:

Post a Comment