Saturday, December 13, 2014

G Stands For - Go Betweens Top 40 Countdown # 6

15. Clouds (Robert)
 
'Told to equate, achievement with pain. I stole their top prize, And paid them back with rain.'

One of a series of plaintive, reflective songs that Robert wrote for 16 Lovers Lane.

 
 
And here's the two of them doing a version of it shortly before Grant died at The Tivoli Theatre in hometown Brisbane in 2005.
 
14. Spring Rain (Robert)
 
'Standing on the lawn with cousins and child brides. Caught for the camera on their best sides. Being caught forewarned their best sides. When will change come just like spring rain.'

 Top 20 single that never was. The opening song from Liberty Belle & the Black Diamond Express.

13. You Can't Say No Forever (Robert)
 
'In December as the trees lined the drive. I'm sure your family remembers me by your side.Night, as your clothes discard he asks, 'Was your day hard,' you can barely answer. "Yes my world's tumbling down. Stone by stone to the ground". Please take out the garbage.You can't say no.In December a piano played by a child's hand. Drifts over the verandah and I'm your man.'
 
16 Lovers Lane again. Jilted, wishful thinking. Always impossible to understand the attraction of 'the other man.'
 
12. Love Goes On (Grant)
 
 
'There's a cat in the alleyway. Dreaming of birds that are blue. Sometimes girl when I'm lonely
This is how I think about you.'

To Grant. From the same record A surprisingly dark love song given the brightness of the tune. Here they are at The Tivoli again. 
 
 
11. A Bad Debt Follows You (Grant)
 
'I fell in your eyes. I fell for your eyes. Pull back the curtains. Let in the dark. I'll lie and watch.
 While your hair sparks.'

To the band's first classic album, Before Hollywood and one of their first great song titles. They're not always thought of as a great 'Rock' band. But this album should be considered in that respect.

And on next week to The Top 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment