Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Merseyside Punk, Post Punk and Pop Bands

Dalek I Love You sent me in this direction. I was really into lots of these in the early eighties. There were hundreds of them and they all seemed to be on John Peel. They shared an indefinable romantic resource of melody, ambition  and emotion.

                                                                   1. Dead or Alive

 
I was never a huge fan but their early records like this were much more interesting than the later hits. You spin me round like a record baby. Please!
 
2. Wah! Heat
 
 
From original Crucial Three member Pet Wylie.
 
 
Sounded just great coming out of transistors on late night Radio 1 when I was 17.
 
4. Pale Fountains
 
 
WEA put a lot of money behind this but the band didn't deliver commercially. They made some gerat Arthur Lee influenced records though. This is a flawed album with some fine moments.
 
5. Ellery Bop - We Deny
 
 
Merseyside rockers. Like John Lennon's nephews.
 
6. China Crisis
 
 
My favourite of theirs. Also the first thing I heard.
 
7. The Wild Swans
 
 
From another Teardrop Explodes member Paul Simpson. Bill Drummond said it was thebest thing ever released on his Zoo label.
 
8. Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark
 
 
From the Wirral if that counts
 
9. The Icicle Works
 
 
I've already featured this bunch
 
10. Black
 
 
The Scouse Scott Walker. Famous for his huge hit It's a Wonderful Life. This is their first single.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment