Friday, April 18, 2014

Towns & Cities # 30 Bath - Tears For Fears

 
I'll give this series a rest now as I've reached 30, and am running out of bands and places. After their first album The Hurting Tears For Fears became pompous and slightly objectionable. The Hurting was pompous but very good in my eyes. Still like it a lot. They were the first live band I ever saw ( I was a late developer on the music front) when I saw them supporting Thompson Twins at Hammersmith Palais in 1983 just as this broke. John Peel just loved it. I think he introduced them in this Top of the Pops. Great pop music about alienation. Just right for sensitive teenage types like I was at this point. Slightly daft lyrics at some points, ('hello teacher, tell me what's my lesson'), but the song itself is just relentless.

No comments:

Post a Comment