Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Song of the Day # 89 - The Black Lips

 
From Athens, Georgia to Atlanta, Georgia. Thirty years on down the line. The stress when you say the name is on Black. Not just the Song of the Day. This lot have been in my head for three since I first heard them on Monday. It says something about the state of play with me that it takes me ten years to realise there's a decent Punk Rock band around. There are probably lots. The likes of Green Day stopped me looking. This lot enjoy a lot of the same things that put me off that band. Urinating, vomiting and setting fire to their instruments. This would not generally in itself do it for me but they're steeped in the best traditions.
 
One listen to any of their albums shows they know their stuff; Elvis, Gene Vincent, Link Wray, Rockabilly, Girl Groups, Doo Wop,Soul, R &B,  Garage Punk, Punk Psychedelia, The Stooges, The Velvets, The MC5, The Ramones (especially The Ramones), The Dead Boys, The Cramps, The Gun Club, GG Allin, The Birthday Party and so on. Different influences pop up on different songs written and sung by different mebers of the band. Mostly the Great American Tradition but the early Beatles and Stones are also in there.
 
 
 
Arabia Mountain seems to be the album of theirs for me though I'm also coming round to their new one Underneath the Rainbow. Everything that's great about them seems to be distilled into the former record and particularly its opening song which I've posted here. They're unapologetic; mired in the dirt. You may like the video. You may not. I imagine the band don't care either way. As it should be.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment