Monday, September 9, 2024

Song(s) of the Day # 3,850 Okay Kaya

 

Another week. Another journey. This one starts with Okay Kaya. Her fourth album has what Oh My God - That's So Me has much to recommend it. A cool step in its stride.

Saying rhat, the Bio on Spotify doesn't really do the artist favours particularly. Apparently she's 'an artist at the peak of ambivalent lyrical mastery.' You mean the words are good. Well they are actually but deserve better than this.

What I was reinded of mostly while the record unfolded was Weyes Blood. Oh My God - That's So Me has some of the wistful nostalgia for an age you may not have lived but still yearn for. This is a rather lovely, beguiling record. 

2 comments:

  1. Glad you found this, Bruce! I was going to recommend it otherwise. I really like it. Other records I liked from Friday include Dummy, Oh Rose, The Crying Nudes, Ex Pilots and Peel Dream Magazine. You may have done some of these before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are loads of great records just out aren't there. My policy is to try and things I haven't had as songs of the day first though I'm sure I repeat myself . Will get onto the ones I'm not familiar with first. Thanks as ever Darren.

    ReplyDelete