Saturday, April 19, 2014

Things that I've Found on my Local's Jukebox # 5 Petula Clark

 
'You wander around in your own little cloud. Where you don't see the whys or the wherefores.'
 
Downtown is great of course but somehow I've heard it too often. I'd go for this instead. Written by Jackie Trent and Tony Hatch who also wrote the theme tunes to Crossroads and Neighbours and so deserve some proper respect. This song has a wonderful, soaring bridge to the chorus. Beautiful melody and lyrics. Wikipedia tells me it shares a chord progression similar to Pachelbel's Canon. #5 in the States, only #12 in the UK but #3 in Zimbabwe where I was at the time in my nappies and #1 in Australia which is where Robert Forster of the Go-Betweens heard it. He later helped me find my way to it by listing it amongst his favourite songs in an article for Melody Maker in the eighties. He also wrote about The Modern Lovers Hospital. Great taste that man. You can hear the sensibility of both tracks he chose in his own songs.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment