Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Song(s) of the Day # 3,453 2m8o

 

1,2,5,6,7,8!!! Darren Jones, loyal supporter of this blog's latest fave rave. 2m8o. See if you can work it out. Oh you can't be bothered. TOMATO! TOMATO! Geddit. I like it when a band makes an effort with their name. I like tomatoes.

I like 2m8o too though an internet search bears no fruit whatsoever as to who they are, except for a photo of a nice young lady and a man with a moustache. I don't mind this. I come from the pre-internet days when you heard a song and liked it. When the world seemed a much larger and more mysterious place. Less weighed down by information and self-importance. When we didn't know everything about everything and became slightly irritating because we thought we did.

So, knowing nothing I'm free to make up exactly what I like about 2m8o and their fabulous eponymous debut album. The nice young lady seems very much like Kim Deal. Smarter than you. Laconic. A cool person to hang with.

The man with the moustache meanwhile supplies timed honoured Indie guitar strumming. The sort that come most obviously from the shift that Sterling and Lou put in from 1968 to 1970, when they used to regularly chuck Mo some songs so she could work her off tune magic. 'I'm sticking with you. Cos I'm made out of glue.' ''Oh some day I know, someone will look into my eyes and say hello, you're my very special one.'

I love the way Indie bands male and female singers deliberately sing out of tune. It's as if they're honouring an ideal. A principle worth living by. Modern Lovers, Half Japanese, Pastels, Tallulah Gosh, Juno and Paulie Bleeker. If the grown ups say we must sing in tune then we're not going to. Sucks boo, mom and dad. This is terrific.


1 comment:

  1. Glad you like it, Bruce! It's exactly the way I like my indie bands... a bit ramshackle/out-of-tune, but great tunes. My definition of perfect pop. The only thing I've seen about them is on the description to the official video of What Trent Does. Names (and other band names) are named. The album isn't even on Bandcamp to download, either. Looks like there was a limited run of 50 cassettes (sold out!), but nothing else. Now that's indie!

    ReplyDelete