Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Song(s) of the Day # 3,364 Fenne Lily

 


Records that remind me so immediately and so much of a particular musical style or trait are bombing up the pike with such intent and rapidity these days, like so many hot to trot salmon in season. It's almost impossible to separate fish from fowl anymore.

Apologies for the ludicrous, over rich and overloaded metaphors, but given the amount of records coming out that seem to slot into ready made generic niches it becomes harder to decide whether you like a record really or you just like what it reminds you of.

Such is the case for me with Fenne Lily, much trumpeted Folk hope and her latest record Big Picture.. Perhaps because I've already gorged myself on classic Seventies singer songwriter dessert recently with Billy Martin's excellent Drop Cherries, which I adored, 

Big Picture. has much to recommend it, ( Lights Light Up is particularly lovely), but didn't resonate sufficiently for me to want to go back and listen until I owned it. Others might disagree of course. That's the nature of things. We all have slightly different tastes in dessert .Drop Cherries, is definitely my Spring '23 pudding of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment