Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Song(s) of the Day # 3,301 Beat Awfuls

I feel with Beat Awfuls, who I picked up on from the wonderful A Pessimist is Never Disappointed site yesterday, that I might have already chanced up on my own American Underground discovery of the year. There have been so many down the years on here; Wild Firth, Warehouse, Lawn, The Lavender Flu, Green/Blue. There are more.

So, Beat Awfuls .Who are they?  A band based in Richmond, Virginia with a Bostonite leader and singer called Dave Vinci who recalls Beck's early languid grace. The band themselves ground themselves in Velvets, Violent Femmes, Black Lips, Guided by Voices, Dylan. You know, the good stuff. Psychedelic haze. Cloud of dust. That Wild Mercury Sound fueled further by the Punk and Low Fi American traditions.

I was swept off my feet instantly by PAWS, their third Long Playing adventure. Sometimes you know, you just know that something will be great from a few second's exposure to its opening track. Your antennae go up like the first time you heard See No Evil on your first play of Marquee Mood. That radar kicking into action. The feeling that you might have found a new love.

My antennae went up. Apparently Anton Newcombe is trying to kick up some new notoriety for himself and his band on Brian Jonestown's current tour of the UK in support of their new record. Bitching at audiences requesting favourite songs. Slagging off Sam Smith and the outfit he chooses to wear at an award ceremony. Sam Smith? Screw Anton Newcombe and his desperation to cling on to his long gone youth. Screw the new Brian Jonestown record. I know exactly what it will sound like without having to actually listen to. Something like Gimme Shelter I'll wager. Choose life instead. Choose Beat Awfuls.

4 comments:

  1. I think you might be right, Bruce! Although it took me a second listen to be convinced. Definitely a grower and one to come back to. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We definitely agree on most things I think. Though not apparently Teenage Fanclub which rather surprised me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that's always been a surprise to me, too! One of those bands I really should like. Not sure what it is...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll like them for you. But it is strange judging by the rest of your taste.

      Delete