Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Song(s) of the Day # 2,977 Buzzard Buzzard Buzzard

 


A very odd modern tendency this one. To imitate the inclinations and sensibility of a particular moment in musical time to such a degree that if you experienced that period of time yourself, you're sent whether like it or not, hurtling unerringly back to that moment in your life and what it felt like.


In the case of the oddly named Cardiff band Buzzard Buzzard Buzzard, their holy grail is probably 1972, when I myself was six and my parents returned home from Zimbabwe to Nottingham. I discovered Chicory Tip, The Goodies, Middle of the Road, Magpie, The Herb Garden and so on and so forth. It seems that Buzzard Buzzard Buzzard have discovered the same dubious thrills fifty years on and parade their love of them all to the full here on debut album Backhand Deals.

t

While this act of musical time travel is so remarkably realised here, it took me straight back to primary school, the artistic, creaitive urge behind it is slightly beyond me. My one listen to  Backhand Deals was not an unpleasant one, but next time I'm after the same thrill I think I'll just go to Wings, Badfinger or The Strawbs.


No comments:

Post a Comment