Thursday, March 24, 2022

Coming Up # 4 Sunflower Bean

 


A few years back in 2016, I was highly, highly taken with New York trio Sunflower Bean and their debut album Human Ceremony. It was a fantastically exciting, innovative and visceral record and it still sounds great, I gave it another listen yesterday and can vouch for that. I also saw the band play at round about the same time in a small indie club in Newcastle where I live and they were fabulous.

Since then I've kind of taken my eye off the band. They, or their record compan,y seem to have consciously foregrounded Julia Cummings, one of their songwriters at the expense of the other, guitarist Oliver Kivlen and their music seems to have suffered slightly as a result. It's a little more nondescript and stands out less than it did. The song I've posted here evidences that I'd say. Anyhow I'll certainly give their new record Headful of Sugar, which arrives at the beginning of May, a spin. If you'll forgive the pun, or even if you don't I hope it gives me the same rush as Human Ceremony but I'm not entirely sure that it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment