Monday, December 20, 2021

Song(s) of the Day # 2,885 Sister John

 


Somehow you know instinctively that Sister John are from Glasgow only hearing a few notes from them. They establish themselves almost instantly within that fine cities gritty guitar lineage on their latest release, third album I am by Day. If the penny hasn't dropped they hammer the point home in anthemic closer Glasgow is a Rainbow.


In between there's much to delight fans of this kind of stuff. Opening one two I'll Be Your Life and In My Place are both incredibly strong but the record doesn't really dip from there. I like the latter so much, it'll appear again shortly today as one of the best songs I've heard this year it made such an immediate impression on me. Built on a thrilling figure, reminiscent of Neil Clark's wonderful circular work on Lloyd Cole & the Commotions.


From their the record branches out somewhat. Not every song reminds the listener immediately of The Velvet Underground or Jesus & Mary Chain, Orange Juice, The Commotions or other lesser Glaswegian bands of yesteryear.It's a wonderfull eclectic collection of tracks that are first and foremost, just very good songs.


Sister John are signed to Last Night in Glasgow and fronted by the somewhat astonishing Amanda McKeown, This is yet another great find for me late in 2021.If you've liked any of the things I've mentioned hear them.It's great to hear things in this particular tradition still being done so well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment