Sunday, December 19, 2021

Albums of the Year # 7 Dark Tea - Dark Tea

 


If there's one new discovery I've made during this weekend it's that I like Dark Tea. Not the drink, (although I do), but the artist, a bloke from Brooklyn who deals in wistful, vaguely melancholic guitar rooted songs that should appeal to those prone to this kind of thing.

I found this immediately taking and think this might be the beginning of a pretty fruitful relationship. Gary Canino, for he is Dark Tea, is certainly indie in terms of his dispositions, and also I'd say something of an Anglophile, demonstrates a particular, crafted sensibility that is highly more-ish and perhaps best experienced on a grey rainy day like the one I listened to it on.


Canino covers a lot of ground and eludes immediate comparison to any particular artists. That's always a great selling point these days. He's essentially downbeat in terms of his sensibiliy, without succumbing to morbity or gloom. Dark Tea for that's the name of the record too, ( he seems to call all his records Dark Tea), has an assurance that immediately draws you in and wonder why this isn't better known.


 If any comparisons need be made I might mention early Dylan, (who after all pretty much set this particular train in motion), Elliott Smith , Kevin Morby or Michael Head. But Canino does not actually sound like any of these except that he wields an acoustic guitar and sings slightly fatalistic sounding songs. Otherwise, he's clearly his own man.


As so often, I have Darren Jones, regular supporter and contributer to this blog, to thank for this discovery. It's one of the most interesting musical finds I've made for some time and one I'll certainly come back to again and again.


According to the liner notes of this, it aims to 'create an escape from the din and set up camp until the sun comes up.' I'm more than happy to go along with this way of thinking. Dark Tea immediately creates an alternative and quite plausible universe that should provide refuge for those fortunate enough to discover it until the black clouds roll away.



No comments:

Post a Comment