Saturday, April 25, 2020

Song of the Day # 2,285 Rush


There are some things I never imagined myself doing. Posting a Rush song as a Song of the Day. But this blog is a journey like so many things in life so I'm doing so now without second thoughts. I think I decided at the age of about fourteen that certain kinds of music were not for me and this band is a representation of that kind of music. But the Facebook site Temporary Fandoms which I've mentioned a number of times on here has become an increasingly important part of my life and weekly routine. Basically the premise is simple. They post an album and people listen to it and share their thoughts on it.

Yesterday, one of the records focused on was Permanent Waves by Rush. I'll confess I approached it with a certain amount of dread. But it surprised me. Here's what I wrote:

' OK quite liked that to my surprise. I don't really go for the twiddly guitar moments but there's obviously some songwriting skill. The records I'd compare it to would be Modern Dance, Marquee Moon and Entertainment which are my own guitar favourites from that era. It certainly won't replace them in my affection. I'm too long in the tooth now, but I can see why some people would like this record so much. It reminded me a bit of Gabriel's Genesis which I do like a lot. Will give it another listen later in the day.'

No comments:

Post a Comment