Friday, February 21, 2020

1980 Albums My List


This is me in round about 1980 with four of my best friends. From left that's Garth, Andreas, Ben, (RIP Ben,) myself below and Eddie. I was fourteen then fifteen, awkward and shy, not really quite myself yet. Music helped me very much to become myself in the next few years, certainly as much as anything else..

I probably only bought the XTC album in the actual calendar year. I also wasn't listening to much of this at the time, I've accumulated all thirty albums since. This is a fabulous list of records, mostly white and guitar driven, but I'd say that reflects generally what the best albums that year were. We were so spoilt for great stuff that year that excellent records by The Clash, UB40, The Human League, Adam & the Ants and Grace Jones among many others didn't make my list
  1. Talking Heads - Remain In Light
  2. Dexys Midnight Runners - Searching for the Young Soul Rebels
  3. The Cure - Seventeen Seconds
  4. The Beat - I Just Can't Stop It
  5. The Feelies - Crazy Rhythms
  6. David Bowie - Scary Monsters
  7. The Teardrop Explodes - Kilimanjaro
  8. Prince - Dirty Mind
  9. Joy Division - Closer
  10. The Jam - Sound Affects
  11. Young Marble Giants - Colossal Youth
  12. XTC - Black Sea
  13. Suicide - The Second Album
  14. Soft Boys - Underwater Moonlight
  15. Echo & the Bunnymen - Crocodiles
  16. Specials - More Specials
  17. Magazine - The Correct Use of Soap
  18. Japan - Gentlemen Take Polaroids
  19. Pylon - Gyrate
  20. The B52's - Wild Planet
  21. Pretenders - Pretenders
  22. Tom Waits - Heartattack & Vine
  23. The Undertones - Hypnotised
  24. Simple Minds - Empires & Dance
  25. Blondie - AutoAmerican
  26. The Psychedelic Furs - The Psychedelic Furs
  27. The Monochrome Set - Strange Boutique
  28. The Selecter - Too Much Pressure
  29. Peter Gabriel - III
  30. The Passions - Michael & Miranda

No comments:

Post a Comment