Friday, April 29, 2016

The Heart of Rock & Soul # 989 Magazine


'I can be lonely sometimes. I can be lonely right in the middle of a crowd' Elvis Presley once said. But it took this band of enfant miserables to find the song that fit the thought. They said it with primordial punk stomp overridden by a great guitar riff (same one Bruce Springsteen used for Roulette) and fleshed out with the saddest of all sad schoolyard stories, the one about the guy who can't fit in even with the other misfits. 'Worm my way into the heart of the crowd.../ Shot by both sides / On my way to the outside of everything,' croaks Howard Devoto, expressing more truths than he perhaps imagines: The reason the others won't let him fit in, the reasons he doesn't want to, the reasons he does anyway, why he think it's a secret, why everybody really knows the score.'


I have to say I'm not entirely sure what Marsh is on about towards the end of this paragraph but people tend to go this way when writing about Magazine. Still, he's quite right about Springsteen's Roulette lifting the same riff.




No comments:

Post a Comment