Monday, June 22, 2015

Song of the Day # 519 The Tokens


As I commented in the Left Banke post below, I was part of the celebrations for my mum's eightieth birthday party this weekend. My small part in these celebrations, apart from just being here, was to provide a Spotify soundtrack with songs and memories for proceedings. As my parents spent the fifteen years following their marriage in Africa, (South Africa and Zimbabwe), a lot of the things I chose centred on our time there. This was pointed out as an obvious omission. Great song too. American Number One in 1961. Made particularly wonderful to my ears by the almost ludicrous, soaring female backing falsetto. And for those of my generation, no I wasn't tempted to post the eighties remake by Tight Fit which topped the British Singles Chart in 1982. It's crap! Find it yourself if you're so inclined.

No comments:

Post a Comment