Thursday, February 19, 2015

Song of the Day # 397 The Jesus & Mary Chain

 
Two things of note happened in Newcastle yesterday. The first was that Jesus & Mary Chain played Psychocandy  in its entirety at the Carling Academy. I wasn't there. I hadn't been there when the group played the university I attended when it first came out almost thirty years ago. On that occasion they kept the crowd waiting for a couple of hours, were barraged by plastic glasses of beer when they did come on. One of the Reid brothers said 'Don't be so fucking stupid!' They walked off. Came back half an hour later and played a glorious twenty minute set and that was it. I should have gone really. My girlfriend at university who did and took some great photos on the night used to sing this song into her clenched fist which served as a microphone with a screwed up impassioned face. Where does time go? In my eyes perhaps it's the finest song off a very fine album. The other news of the day will follow on shortly. Here's a picture of last night's gig from a friend who was there.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment