Tuesday, February 10, 2015

A Song That Reminds Me Of Someone # 7 New Order

 
I like the idea that this blog has shifted, gradually from what it initially was to an archive of memory as reflected by the quote across the top of the page. This song reminds me of David Laurence who I did Drama 'O' Level with when I was a fairly hopeless and directionless youth heading to the mid-teenage years. Whatever happened to David Laurence? I'll never know. I have many memories of David, one of them going back to his leafy house on the Sheen Road to listen to this album, which he'd just bought. Joy Division, affected youths from fortunate backgrounds. The other was being in a pub on Richmond Hill a few years later, drinking beers while I was at university when I suddenly had a lucid waking dream and realised that life was not short as we were always being told, at least not for those of us that were that fortunate enough to be conscripted, but very, very long. I had a vision of a hot air balloon rising, into an indescribably colourless sky which I'll never quite forget. David, I raise my glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment