Thursday, August 17, 2023

You've Got Everything Now - Mojo CD Complilation # 1 The Wedding Present

 

I've been thinking about the past recently. I try not to do this too much, even though I am in essence a nostalgic person. But a couple of pieces of news I didn't want to hear cast me back there a couple of weeks back. The Smiths, in essence a nostalgic band themselves, right from, the start, are on the cover of Mojo Magazine this month. To accompany that the magazine has attached a fabulous CD compilation of brittle, beautiful, essentially independent guitar songs from the time and I thought I'd itemise it here for a couple of weeks. Starting with the Wedding Present who exemplified The North as well as any band did that decade. Even The Smiths which is high praise indeed. Here, on one of the stand out tracks from a stand out album, George Best, they prostrate themselves before both Morrissey and the golden, mangled riff of The Velvets What Goes on.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment