Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Song(s) of the Day # 3,487 Silicone Prairie

 

'I don't want to grow up. There's too much contradiction.' Television

I have a Swell Maps album from 1980 called Jane From Occupied Europe that I would love to praise to the high heavens. It would, I'm convinced,  instantly give me enormously rare Cult cool, help me become close friends with Thurston Moore and Graham Coxon and elevate me to genuine hipster status at last. I could wear shades forever more. Wherever I was.

Unfortunately I just don't like it, It doesn't have anything to hang on to. Memorable melodies. Or really melodies at all. Ir's pretty crap. Despite its status as some hallowed text, it disappointed me enormously when I bought it on re-release and I've barely played it since.

I'm much more appreciative of Volume II by Silicone Prairie, yet another great record I've been directed to by Darren Jones, who I turn to when I'm at a loose end for new records to recommend.

 Silicone Prairie is Ian Teeple. He hails from Kansas City and craves the obscure. Volume II, his second album, (duh!), under this moniker, is obscure as you could possible want it.

Sloppily played, poorly produced, deliberately sung out of tune. Just made for sad types who hunt down Sic Alps Desperate Bicycles, Cleaners From Venus and Flying Nun rarities. People like me.

Despite its self-conscious out of focus obscurantism it's great. A lot of fun. A good excuse to not grow up just yet. Screw that for a game of soldiers.



4 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it, Bruce! You reminded me to re-listen, too, as I hadn't played it for a while. I've just come back from holiday, so need to catch up on your posts and my listening! Rather enjoying what I've heard of the new Ora Cogan and Mary Jane Dunphe albums from Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ora Cogan is just terrific. Have been listening to it all morning. I've written a review which I'll post tomorrow. You get a name check. Thanks. Hope it makes you smile. On to Mary Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah , it's great! Think you introduced me to Ora Cogan with her last album. Looking forward to your review! Hope you like the Mary Jane Dunphe album. There are overlaps with Ora Cogan, I think, but it has more of a pop sheen. She describes it as avant-pop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah. I've done Ora Cogan before. Forgotten about her. Hope you didn't mind the daft review. I think this one's great too.

    ReplyDelete