Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Ora Cogan - Formless

 

Loyal follower and supporter of this blog, Darren Jones, has been on holiday. I'm not sure Darren Jones is allowed to go on holiday. Put that in the ship's log Stubb. It's not in his job description. He was Shanghaied, many moons ago. For the services of The Pequod As Starbuck to my Ahab, chief mate to my captain, cast adrift on the ocean seas of musical blog. 

He's been doing sterling, work onboard It Starts for a number of voyages now. Going back years. Rising through the ranks. Eyes scanning the horizon keenly for approaching schools, promising new releases, catches,  to cast the ship's nets for and bring their catch onboard for the captain's table, (though of course I know he likes listening to them just for himself of course). 

But Darren / Starbuck is always very generous in letting me know . Prizes which I otherwise might miss, so I in turn can bring them to the notice of anyone who's interested out there in the world of blog. Apologies for my enthusiasm and ludicrous prose. But that's what language and imagination is here for after all.

The good news is Darren's back from his holidays. And he's just posted me one of his latest listening finds, Ora Cogan and her latest album Formless. Ora's a recording artist based on Vancouver Island. who's been recording and playing for going on twenty years now, with EPs and albums on various record labels. Never really coming to the attention of the majors. But do we really need the majors anymore. Discuss in pairs.

Ora's a restless soul that's for sure. Formless is as good a place to make her case as anywhere. The music is difficult to categorise. I'd call it Independent Folk. It's so enticing you might make you want to cancel all immediate engagements and make your way to Vancouver Island post haste endeavoring to track her down.

Midway through Formless  she plays her take on Katie Cruel a Traditional American Folk song of Scottish origin. Karen Dalton performed probably the best known version. It's also been covered by Odetta, Bert Jansch, Lankum and adapted for their own purposes by Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds down the years. Several of them are well worth hearing.

Cogan's version of this classic wasn't instantly recognisable to me and doesn't bear any immediate relation to my ears to any version I've heard before. But it holds its own. More than holds its own.

As does the rest of Formless. In itself an interesting name for a record. There's plenty of form here as far as I can see. Great form! Good shape! Thanks Darren. Hope you had a great holiday! Now back to your duties And put your back into it lad. This is just wonderful anyway. Like so much else you recommend.

7 comments:

  1. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts... in this case, Whitby, which has a big whaling history (ironically)! Thanks for your fine words, Bruce. I love this album more each time I listen to it. I will certainly keep them coming as long as you keep posting. Yours is "a noble craft, but somehow a most melancholy! All noble things are touched with that."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it Darren. I've never been to Whitby. It's not far from Newcastle. I must make a point of going there as soon as I can. The album's just great. I'd have missed it Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had to look up the quote. Of course it's Moby Dick. Thanks for that. I finally got round to reading it. A couple of years ago. In Lockdown. I'm glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had to look it up myself! Have a feeling that I read it at school, which seems crazy, but might account for the fact that I can remember little about it, apart from the opening line. One of the best in literature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They made you read it at school? That's insane. It's not bad to read at 55. You can skip bits. There was much that I enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think so, but my memory is poor! I have just turned 57. I can't even remember what gigs I went to in my 20s, since I stupidly threw away my old ticket stubs in a house move around 25 years ago. Worst decision I ever made!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm 57 too. 58 soon. I've got a good memory which is fortunate. I love memory. Moby Dick is not a good book to make kids read at school. But I did Hamlet and Waiting for Godot for A Levels and I don't think they're good things to set either Maybe they're partly to test people but you have no idea about death at that age. Why should you. I think they're much better appreciated when you're twice that age.

    ReplyDelete