Friday, July 21, 2023

Song(s) of the Day # 3,456 Parks, Squares & Alleys

 


The melodic,guitar  meanderings of The Cures 17 Seconds with the angstier instincts withdrawn like a bird of prey with its talons clipped. Incredible what lasting influence that album continues to have over forty years later. It was one of my favourite records when I was seventeen myself. I feel gratified and redeemed.

Parks, Squares & Alleys, (and what a Cure inspired name that is), hail from Tblisi, Georgia. Sergei Khavro seems to be their main guy. Latest album Zero Division Error find him lost in a forest. Running toward nothing again and again and..... There are worse things to do with your life.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Bruce, I liked that! I sort of avoided The Cure for the most part, apart from the hits and buying Head on the Door. Although the drummer lived in Farnham when I worked there in the late 80s/90s, so there was a little goth enclave in the heart of Surrey.

    Got some new ones out today to check out from Kitba, Symbol Soup, Strange Ranger and Mother Tongues. Busy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like The Cure more actually with time Darren. Being brought up in London suburbs, Richmond and Teddington, they increasingly sum them up in my mind. Excellent. More leads. I imagine I'll write about most of them at some point soon. If I made any money out of this I'd send some your way.

    ReplyDelete