Friday, July 14, 2023

Song(s) of the Day # 3,449 feeble little horse

 

Whether there's room for yet another American guitar band with horse in their name remains open to question. But here comes another one.  Band of Horses, Crazy Horse and any number of less feted examples testify to the abiding power of the image of the animal as a metaphor for nothing less that American Freedom. I direct you to Patti Smith's debut album if you're in doubt,

Calling yourself feeble little horse is hardly a comparable statement. In fact it's barely one at all. It strikes me as a throwaway gesture. A feeble one in fact. The Pittsburgh noise pop band's second album Girl With Fish is a dayglo crayon affair that seems to take its lead from Mercury Rev's Yerself is Steam and My Bloody Valentine's early records, which seemed to set this particular ball rolling.

This kind of record tends to make me feel rather queasy and carsick. I won't be back I'm afraid. Still feeble little horse are there for those who like this kind of thing. Wednesday's Rat Saw God remains my go to record in this particular sub-category for 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment