Saturday, July 22, 2023

Guided by Voices - Welshpool Frillies

 

Another Friday, another Guided by Voices album. I'm exaggerating but not much frankly. This band should take it easy. If only to allow those of us who love their stuff to actually process their records fully before the next one pulls up.

Guided by Voices, probably deserve to be called Dayton Ohio's favourite sons by now. If only because of the work they've put in since first coming together in 1983, lest we forget the year that R.E.M.'s Murmur came out and set a particular Anerican alternative ball rolling that still hasn't reached the bottom of its hill and probably never will.

This lot have truly legendary status by now. Some people probably buy every record. I don't think I own a single one unless I bought I am an Engineer as a single at some point one time when I saw it in a bargain basement bin. I'm sure I own this, though possibly on CD and I don't bother with those things anymore. 

That doesn't mean I don't love them but you do always know what you're getting with Bob Pollard and whoever his compadres are at any point in time. They're not a band that ever strays far from the well. Ever. It's served them well after all. Neil Young & Crazy Horse, The Who, Wire, The Fall,  R.E.M's Document Bob Mould and that sound that he sculpted with Husker Du and perfected in Sugar.

This is what Guided by Voice always sound like and it's no real bombshell to report that Welshpool Frillies the band's 342nd studio album, (OK I made that up), sounds like that. I'm not complaining. I like all of these things and I love them. Long may they run. As long as the community nurse will allow them to I suspect

No comments:

Post a Comment