Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Steady Holiday - Newfound Oxygen

                   


                  'I was asleep in the backseat. When I woke up in the middle of my thirties.'

I've followed Steady Holiday a fair bit on here down the years and I'm glad she's back with a new record Newfound Oxygen. It supplies a fresh serving of bittersweet nostalgia for a time that probably never actually existed. Succor for those for whom the latest Weyes Blood record was not quite enough.

Dre Babinski, (for Steady Holiday is she) , is certainly working on the same seam as Weyes, though perhaps she harks back a few years earlier than Karen Carpenter's heydas. The songs on Newfound Oxygen seem to yearn foro prime time Sixties Pop. Beach or poolside parties. The age of Mad Men advertising.

This is a quite splendid record that probably won't get the attention that Weyes Blood does these days but certainly deserves it. Another for the growing pile of millennial yearning records, that's beginning to totter somewhat now. But definitely a record I'll return to in 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment