Thursday, June 25, 2020

Song(s) of the Day # 2,354 The Koreatown Oddity


I generally don't go for a huge amount of new Rap and Hip Hop these days and I'm usually put off it by two basic factors. Tone and aggression levels. But I still occasionally come across something that takes my fancy, and here's one that has.



It's Little Dominiques Nosebleed, the fourth album from Koreatown, LA's Koreatown Oddity, and its title alone is an indicator  that this might not be the standard guns, ho and self-glorification territory that generally turns me me off this stuff.


This is from the off, a different approach altogether, more tuned to the left field approach of De La Soul, Pharcyde, Cypress Hill and Fu-Schnickens. So while this has its moments of appocalyptic darkness, it's consistently much altogether more thoughful in terms of its tones and textures than a lot of its contemporaries.


It's clearly highly autobiographical in tone and although the man may not technically be a great rapper in terms of his delivery, there's certainly enough going on here lyrically, and with respect to  its beats and samples to draw you in and keep you in.



So this is a slightly  stoned, diaristic stroll round the man's neighborhood, high on atmosphere and dusty charm and literate impact. Definitely one that I'll be coming back to and can highly recommend to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment