Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Song of the Day # 1,550 Tenderfoot


Break Apart the new album from Tenderfoot, a quartet made up from two guys and two women from Brooklyn and Seattle, who formed in the latter city some years back,  is one of the most affecting records I've heard this year. It came out in February but I've only just come across it, and generally it's a very impressive achievement. Intimate and emotional, a rock record but a very considered and emotional one.  It gives me all of the succour I had hoped for from the latest Ought album which rather disappointed me. I'm glad that Break Apart is here instead.

Devoid of mannerisms, it has the intense warmth that I associate with Jeff Buckley, Patti Smith, John Grant or Perfume Genius' work. It speaks of rites of passage. Tenderfoot tag themselves a Queer Dream Folk band, a label that means very little to me but clearly does to them as a means of describing their intention and direction. Each track has a brooding but determined spirituality that speaks of battles fought and won and the determination to fight more if necessary and win those too. I only wish I could post more of it here. Hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment