Saturday, November 15, 2014

G Stands for Go-Betweens - Top 40 Countdown # 2


35. Don't Let Him Come Back (Robert)
 
'He wants an excuse To be where King Richard rules.'
 
One of their best early songs.
 
34. I'm All Right (Robert)
 
'Splashing and dashing myself. A sad man. Trying to lift a hundred weight. If I can.'
 
From the original band's last record. The Pop classic 16 Lovers Lane. Perhaps on the surface dominated by Grant's songs, That's not the whole story. Robert's are of a piece. Relaxed, contemplative, trembling and quite beautiful. Songs for the sensitive.
 
33, Slow, Slow Music (Grant)
 
'I got myself a mortgage. It didn't save the marriage. We weren't insured. Insured against breakage.'
 
And by contrast, the band at their early, jarring best when their was still the edge of Post Punk about them.
 
32. Quiet Heart (Grant)
 
'Doesn't matter how far you've come. You've always got further to go.'
 
And back to 16 Lovers Lane. And Grant. About intimacy.
 
31. That Way (Grant)
 
'Inspired by shadows. Driven by tears.'
 
Back again. To their first classic. 1982's Before Hollywood.
 
A series that makes me look forward to next week. And I know what's coming!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment