Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Song(s) of the Day # 3,316 David Brewis

 

There are great releases every Friday these days if you are fortunate enough to have time to trawl through them. I do fortunately do. Here's another of them.

David Brewis is also a member of Field Music. I'm glad I listened to his latest solo offshoot The Soft Struggles before I knew this, because I have unjustified prejudices about that band which would have stopped me enjoying it as much as I have otherwise.

The Soft Struggles is a very, very English record. It has pastoral, chamber flourishes that would grace a Nick Drake or Kevin Ayers record.

Brewis is an accomplished and again very English lyricist in the classic tradition. His voice is occasionally arch and pleased with itself, the quality I haven't warmed to previously in Field Music records I've heard but I've come to the conclusion that this is my problem not Brewis's. Judging by The Soft Struggles he has every right to feel highly pleased with himself. It's a highly accomplished record.

No comments:

Post a Comment