Monday, July 18, 2022

Pies & Prejudice - In Search of the North by Stuart Maconie # 1 The Housemarttins

 


I shouldn't really need an excuse to re-read Stuart Maconie's Pies & Prejudice. It's one of my favourite books of my kind. Social commentary which has very few comparisons. The ones with J.B.Priestley, Bill Brydon and Alan Bennett that have been made are richly deserved. It's so funny for starters. Living in the Northernmost English city, Newcastle, and having done so for almost fifteen years is another good excuse to read it again. The fact that it also has plenty of Pop Culture references gives me and excuse to itemise my reading experience here.

In the first twenty five pages Maconie has a jolly good laugh at London. And why not. Having been brought up there, I'm well aware that it thoroughly deserves it sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment