Saturday, July 16, 2022

Lawn - Bigger Sprout

 


New Orleans duo Lawn have been on my radar for a few years now and featured regularly on this blog. Their first two albums, 2018's Blood on The Tracks and 2020's  Johnny both figured high on my end of year chart rundowns and got much play on my part.

Now they're back with another, Bigger Sprout, which seeing as it only runs to seven tracks, hardly qualifies as a third album. It's more Lawn goodness though, plying a similar sound to what we've come to expect from them.

What makes Lawn most notable, apart from the consistent excellence of their songs, is the contrast between their two songwriters. One favours a fairly conventional jingly jangly approach, one part Kinks, one part Alex Chilton or dB's. The other is consistently more deranged, though also highly melodic and sings like one of The Muppets Band, Animal probably.

I've always loved what they do and love this too. That they have no apparent profile still is slightly shocking to me given how good they are but I greatly appreciate everything they do. 


No comments:

Post a Comment