Saturday, June 11, 2022

Song(s) of the Day # 3,055 St. Cyrus

 


One of those rare Fridays where I didn't find any new albums among the new releases that particularly took my fancy. Until late in the evening when I chanced upon this. But this is definitely worth a listen.

St Cyrus are a band from Wakefield, Yorkshire. The record is their debut album, Whatever We Become. Probably the finest band I've ever heard from there. Well, to my knowledge they're the only band from Wakefield I've ever heard.

Wakefield seems to be a place that he has been notable of late as a good place to take the political temperature of Nothern England as any. In the last general election, it astonishingly went Tory, returning a Conservative MP. Fairly soon there will be a by election there, which will be an interesting one to watch to see where we might be going next.

If St. Cyrus are anything to go for, there may be chutes of recovery to hope for. Sorry to nail my political colours to the mast, but I am certainly not a Conservative and will never vote for them.

St Cyrus are glass half full Indie janglers though they're obviously smart too, judging by their lyrics ,and are aware of the potential down sides too. If they remind me of anyone it would be Songs For Northern Britain era Teenage Fanclub. Each song on Whatever We Become is a delight and sounds like a potential single.

They sing about 'soul' as if it's a real thing. They make you believe it is. I hope they know how good they are. This is a great record.

No comments:

Post a Comment