Friday, November 19, 2021

Albums of the Year # 37 Hannah Peel - Fir Wave

 

 


Although not a huge fan of instrumental music, this year's Mercury Music Award has brought a record of this type that is very, very much to my liking. It's Fir Wave, by Hannah Peel, quite a stalwart in her particular chosen field and this is a quite entrancing album.


Working within the broad tradition of Delia Derbyshire and the BBC Radiophonic Workshop the record creates a very special atmosphere for itself that is utterly spellbinding at times.

I find it almost impossible to describe it further except that it's very, very good, seems to summon up the elements at some points and comes across as glass half full music, which is the sort I'm drawn towards at the moment. I'd be perfectly happy if it won the Mercury, though I imagine that's a rather long shot.


No comments:

Post a Comment