Saturday, February 23, 2019

Song(s) of the Day # 1,861 Desperate Journalist


I rather enjoyed the time I spent with Desperate Journalist's third album In Search of the Miraculous yesterday, even though it felt like a musical landscape I'd visited many, many times over the years going back to the early Eighties and continuing on to the mid-Nineties. Originality may not be the band's strongest card but they do have a nice way with melodic teenage angst, if that's what you're after.


I'm 53 years old now and was never much into angst, even when I was a teenager myself. But I can appreciate virtually anything when it's well done and this is very well done.Desperate Journalist's  sound dips its toes in Goth with a singer, Jo Bevan, who comes across as a streetwise Harriet Wheeler, with an impressive musical take on Morrissey / Marr melodic flow on occasion. Howl into the void of late adolescence with Desperate Journalist. Now, if only they could do something about that dreadful name. 


No comments:

Post a Comment