Sunday, August 13, 2017

Album Reviews # 71 Glen Campbell - Greatest Hits - 2 Gentle on my Mind


The rolling tune is great but it's the wonderful lyrics here that make this song:

'It's knowing that your door is always open
And your path is free to walk
That makes me tend to leave my sleepin' bag
Rolled up and stashed behing your couch
And it's knowin' I'm not shackled
By forgotten words and bonds
And the ink stains that have dried upon some time
That keeps you in the back roads
By the rivers of my memory
That keeps you ever gentle on my mind.'

That can't really be beaten. How somebody's mere presence and personality can provide a kind of spiritual peace for someone else. Originally written by John Hartford after watching Dr Zhivago. Released twice by Campbell in '67 an '68 it remarkably only reached # 39 in the US Billboard Singles but took on a new lease of life when featured as the theme tune on his syndicated TV programme The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour.


No comments:

Post a Comment