Thursday, December 24, 2015

Song of the Day # 704 The Fortunes


Generally this blog is an exercise is an exercise in a certain kind of taste. You'd probably call it classical NME good taste, not too radical or avant gard. but I know and like my Pere Ubu, my Can, my Go Betweens, my Al Green and so forth.This is different. Classic early seventies pop kitsch. It was really perfected during this period. There was plenty of it in the fifties and sixties of course but during these years it was refined to a golden glow of pure corn which takes me back to listening to the radio of the time where you'd hear song after song bearing its unmistakable hallmarks as if you were watching the conveyor belt on a factory line. All different but all essentially the same. This record is as good an example as you can find of that.

I also have John Lydon to back me up. From his latest autobiography, Anger is an Energy:

'There's something in them three chords that hits everybody; that's why, to this day, the bottom-line function I see in what I do is - I write pop songs. I can go into elaborate versions of pop songs but the basic root of me is pop music. I love 'Storm in a Teacup' by The Fortunes as much as I do - well a lot more than I do - 'Smoke on the Water' by Deep Purple.' 

No comments:

Post a Comment