Friday, December 25, 2015

100 Power Pop Songs Countdown # 5-1


5. The Nerves


'This is the last time I'm gonna try...'

Chicago mid-seventies band best known for Hanging on the Telephone, made famous by Blondie of course. This song is modelled on a basic Beatles prototype and I think deserves its high placing.

4. The Exploding Hearts

'I'm a pretender at the game of love...'

And trust the internet at Christmas, there's no direct link to this song so here you go! Portland, Oregon quartet from the end of the nineties and turn of this decade who did a neat, modern variant on all that Punk and New Wave wonderful-ness before a tragic road accident brought an end to them. 

3. Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers


'Well she was an American girl. Raised on promises. she couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life. Somewhere else...'

Yes, despite all that Petty, went on to do next, this to my ears is Power Pop. And as good as it gets. Such an explosion of emotion and then after two minutes the lyrics are played out and the band just ride the melody down to the end.

2. Big Star


'How can I deny. What's inside...'

The kings of all this. They could have littered the Top Twenty with their songs if I'd let them. Given that everyone only gets one selection. This one had to be it.

1. The Flamin' Groovies


'Shake some action's what I need. To make me burst out at full speed...'

Only one song could have kept them from Number One. This one!

Happy Christmas!




No comments:

Post a Comment