Friday, August 29, 2014

Song of the Day # 223 Orange Juice

'The difference between you and me. Is that the world owes you a living.'
 
Orange Juice's second album is an interesting case in point. It didn't sell and it was generally felt that their early Postcard sparkle had gone flat the band having signed to Polydor. The record however did yield them their only proper career hit Rip It Up, which flirted around the Top 10 for a few weeks and gave them a Smash Hits cover. I don't particularly like that song but do like the other singles the band released from the album both of which fell short of the Top 40. I Can't Help Myself, a Motown knock off and this, which seems to me almost a Bacharach and David pastiche. And a very good pop song. Would have sat well at Number 15.

1 comment:

  1. I loved Rip it Up. Used to take it to parties and make them play it when I was a teenager. Kind of the song of my teenage years in some ways. "Arms stuck like glue to my sides." Preach it, Edwyn!

    ReplyDelete