Saturday, August 9, 2014

Song of the Day # 203 - The Boomtown Rats

'The girl in the cake, jumped out too soon by mistake.' 
 
Never thought this would happen. Boomtown Rats as Song of the Day. They're not for me really. I was slightly interested as a youth but as soon as  really began forming opinions I wrote them off as mannered, opportunist and really quite dated once those New Wave mannerisms had gone out of vogue.  She's so Modern. Like Clockwork. Really. But a colleague sent a few tracks to me following a discussion about those times yesterday. Amongst them this. It was probably the first time I'd heard it since about 1979. You generally get I Don't Like Monday, Rat Trap and possibly a couple of early singles if anything nowadays. I thought it worked and have barely been able to get it out of my head since. Whatever you say about that band and a lot of rude things have been said they certainly went for it. Each of them dram it up to the max here whenever the camera is pointed at them Whenever the Rats come up in my life from now on I'll be able to say at least I  like that one.It's also strangely a song that has a new gloss of poignancy given what happened to that poor man's daughter recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment