Friday, August 28, 2026

Top 100 Records - SublimMedia # 44 Roy Harper - Stormcock

 


I've been listening to Roy Harper's Stormcock on repeat for the last week or so. It takes me back unerringly. To a favourite place. A safe one. 1993 -94 in Dortmund, Germany and the best music friend of my lifetime. I used to go to his flat on a Friday afternoon and we;d talk into the evening.and we'd drink beer and smoke dope and talk about life.



Listen to Nick Drake, Tim Buckley, Kevin Coyne and Roy Harper. And Stormcock particularly . Listening to it now takes me back unerringly across the years and the continent like an arow.  I'm sat on his armchair at the window and he's sat on his sofa rolling a joint on the cofee table and we're laughing . Talking about the night ahead. Meeting the others in town.

This is a beautiful record. I need a vinyl copy of my own. It's only got four tracks but they hint at remarkable wisdom and insight. The stuff of the ages. there's incredible weeping and remarkable dignity and majesty.Music does this !



No comments:

Post a Comment