Saturday, July 2, 2022

Gwenno - Tresor

 


Weird. I like weird. When it comes to the end of the year, records by Cate Le Bon and Aldous Harding will feature high on my list of favourite personal records of 2022. Practitioners of the new female weird thing.

Also this. Tresor The latest album from Cornish Welsh Folk marvel Gwenno which had me spinning back in time this morning as if I'd inadvisably been deep in the forest, ingested some mushrooms that I really shouldn't have, and been sent back to ancient days to hang out with Arthur's knights and Morgan Le Fey. Trust me, I'm not being fanciful. It does actually sound like that.

Gwenno sings, speaks and chants in Welsh and Cornish while around her, musicians weave a musical backdrop that is both mired deep in pre-history and wonderfully modern at one and the same time. She's been doing this for a while now, so Tresor shouldn't really come as a surprise to devotees, merely confirmation of what a pure and wonderful talent she is..

I'm not sure where I'd rank this in comparison with Aldous's Warm Chris or Cate's Pompeii. I find it increasingly difficult to do such things these days. I'm just glad they're all here. Gwenno should really have called this Treasure. Because that's what it and she clearly are..


No comments:

Post a Comment