Sunday, July 24, 2022

Neglected Records In My Collection # 2 Marty Robbins - All Times Greatest Hits

 

A record I'd only just bought before my record player conked out and so I had to wait 9 months for it to get fixed so I could actually play and appreciate it this Sunday morning. 

It starts with probably Marty's best known moment. El Paso the cornier than corn Wetern ballad of treachery and betrayal immortalised once again in the opening of the last episode of Breaking Bad. There's a lot more to Marty than this but it's a good a song to represent him as any.

The rest of his Double Best of album can be easily divided into two categories. Johnny, (Cash) and Elvis, particularly late, Vegas period Elvis on sides 3 and 4.. He doesn't have the heft of either but there's plenty to enjoy. Pretty much every thing comes with a large spoon of corn and Marty has a fine voice and sings of an oldwest that never existed as well as anyone.



No comments:

Post a Comment