Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Song(s) of the Day # 2,942 Empath

 


There's a wilful, ineptness, a messiness to the way underground Philadelphia quartet Empath play on latest album Visitor. It sounds like each musician is playing in totally different bands and the singer is singing for someone else too. It's a quality they share with the likes of millenial Post Punk pioneers Life Without Buildings, and The Raincoats and Kleenex from the late Seventies and early Eighties.


This is not easy listening. It is clattering, jarring and consistently discordant. I'm not sure whether I'll go back to it but have to take my had off to its bloody minded intent. It walks its own road. But I think I'll take it off now.

1 comment:

  1. I love this, Bruce! Only discovered it yesterday, but keep playing it today. Exactly my bag!

    ReplyDelete