Thursday, April 11, 2019

Song(s) of the Day # 1,907 Film Jacket 35


An interesting discovery of mine from earlier on this week. Greek Indie trio Film Jacket 35 and their second album, The PR Foundation. The umbrella term Indie is such a huge catchment area these days, not unlike London, eating further and further into the greenbelt to come to be all things to all men. From the most generic uniformity imaginable to genuine creative exploration and true independent spirit.



Film Jacket 35 definitely belong in the latter category. There's admirable wide-eyed wonder here, which is what you want first and foremost from a new find. Each song has a tangible sense of off kilter abandon. They're having fun, and it's contagious.


I'm reminded of things. But unlike with many bands, it's not the easily assembled bag kit of influences which seem to act as a portal to exactly what's in their record collections. I have no idea what's in Film Jacket 35's record collection. I heard Black Lips vocals and Monochrome Set, Wire, Os Mutantes, Housemartins and even Wannadies sounds. Whether I'm anywhere close to their actual inspiration points I have no idea, which is what I find so alluring about The PR Foundation.


The record is an away day from the cares of life, a rabbit hole back to the best moments of childhood, all bouncy castles, jelly and balloons. Where Film Jacket 35 will go from here I don't know. But if they continue to make having fun as much of a priority as it is here, I'll keep following them and I imagine I'll have company.



No comments:

Post a Comment