Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Things Found on My Local's Jukebox # 195 U2


A good friend of mine and a big supporter of this blog posted a message to me on social media  about The Sound and The Comsat Angels and their early records. They're bands who historically got caught in the slipstream of the Bunnymen, The Teardrop Explodes, Simple Minds, New Order and everyone else in that scrum of groups who gathered, and rushed past them towards their moment in the pop sun. And most of all U2, who soaked it all in and eventually hit the payload for all this sound had to offer while inadvertently selling it out at the same time. I don't care for this band, but I do care for their first album, Boy a lot, which I think is a still remarkable document of the painful and unique journey of adolescence. It will never be really cool, probably because of the later exploits of the band, but it's always there! Back to The Sound and Comsat Angels when I've had time to re-listen to their records. I'm fairly sure the friend I refer to earlier would heartily disapprove of even the slightest endorsement of this particular band I imagine!




No comments:

Post a Comment