Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Albums of The Year # 74 Califone - Echo Mine

 From February:


I'm always very grateful to the A Pessimist is Never Disappointed blog, listed on the right hand side of my page for introducing me to all kinds of great music that I wouldn't come across otherwise. This, Echo Mine, the new album from Tim Rutili, formerly of Chicago's Red Red Meat, formerly under the moniker Califone is merely the latest example.


It's a layered, textured and resonant record. Experimental, in the traditions of Post and Math Rock, but accessible enough and reminiscent of seeing a great band that you weren't previously aware of in the midnight slot at one of the sadly now defunct All Tomorrow's Parties, alternative music festivals.


Songs don't really follow conventional patterns, but consistently evoke, smoky late night public scenarios. Rutili utilises space and silence to unsettling but impressive effect. I'm not quite sure how often I'll return to this as it's not necessarily an album that made me feel good,  but I was certainly completely absorbed by my first encounter with it.



No comments:

Post a Comment