Thursday, August 20, 2020

Song(s) of the Day # 2,409 Lily McKown

'I'm a backseat driver and I'm dying for control.'

Melancholia flecked, whisky drenched, bruised beauty. Powerless yet immensely powerful at one and the same time. Backseat Driver, the title and opening  track of Lily McKown's album of the same name, sounds like a C&W tinged Rock song that you've known all your life. 


You kind of know what's coming next on the record once it's three and a half minutes have run its course. Especially given that the next track is called Circle of Misery. Things are not going to get any better.

'Always on the B Team. And I'll be here 'til someone needs me...'

Sadly they don't and you might need a strong stomach or a stiff drink, or preferably both, if you're planning to stay the course. I confess I skipped some songs after particularly grim opening lines. This is the soundtrack to a film that is yet to be made called Same Shit, Different Day. It may not smash Box Office records.


Nothing on here quite lives up to the title track.Though B Team comes fairly close. McKown, described on her Spotify page as 'a singer-songwriter from Philadelphia, who writes witty, somber folk rock.' I would have welcomed a bit more wit. But Backseat Driver alone is worth the entry fee. It'll be on my end of year song list.


No comments:

Post a Comment