Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Song(s) of the Day # 1,465 Tune-Yards


I wasn't really sure what I thought about Tune-Yards new album I can feel you creep into my private life as I started listening through to it yesterday. Popular music has a long history of musicians charting the process of people effectively becoming machines, going back to Kraftwerk who probably did it all best and first. Tune-Yards initially seem like just another act to add to that tottering pile. However, I found myself warming to the record the longer I listened to it, mostly for the moments when humanity leaks from out of it leaving the listener feeling strangely disquiet. The ghost in the machine. By the end of it I was quite enchanted. The rhythms and melodies also become more oddly alluring the further through the album that you get and the invention behind the whole exercise became more and more fascinating. Certainly an exercise of ideas as well as beats in the grand tradition of Bowie, Eno and Byrne. Here are a couple of tracks from the record.


No comments:

Post a Comment